Overview of IFTA
Updated on September 14, 2023 - 2:00 PM by Admin, TruckLogics
IFTA has 58 member jurisdictions–48 US states and 10 Canadian provinces.IFTA is required for any motor vehicle with the following specifications:
- Two axles and a gross vehicle weight or registered gross vehicle weight exceeding 26,000 pounds or 11,797 kilograms; or
- Having three or more axles, regardless of weight; or
- Is used in combination when the weight of such combination exceeds 26,000 pounds or 11,797 kilograms gross vehicle or registered gross vehicle weight.
The motor carriers operating in multiple jurisdictions must report the fuel tax return for each quarter with their base jurisdiction.
When is the IFTA filing due for 2023?
IFTA due dates 2023 are on the last day of the month following the end of each quarter. The IFTA due dates for 2023 are listed below.
|For the Periods||Due Dates|
January - March 2023
|May 1, 2023|
|April - June 2023
|July 31, 2023|
|July - September 2023
|October 31, 2023|
|October - December 2023
|January 31, 2024|
Note:If the IFTA due date falls on a weekend or public holiday, then the due date will be on the next business day.
Ready to generate an IFTA Report?
TruckLogics, the #1 Trucking Management Software, offers a comprehensive solution for you to generate your IFTA report accurately.
You can import your trucks, fuel, and distance data easily and generate your IFTA report in just a few minutes with the state-specific required format.
What if I miss the IFTA Reporting deadline?
Failure to file your IFTA report by the due date may lead to penalties being imposed, for any of the following conditions:
- Failure to file
- Late-filed reports
- Underpayment of tax due
The penalty amount will be $50 or 10% of the net tax liability will be imposed, whichever is greater. The penalty may differ between jurisdictions. Additionally, interest will be added to all
late tax payments.
You can view your state-specific IFTA reporting requirements and penalties here,
for further information.
Information required to generate IFTA Report
While exact requirements may vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, the following are the basic details required for IFTA filing:
Business information, such as the EIN, the name of the company, the type of business,
and the address.
- IFTA details, including country, base jurisdiction, and IFTA Account Number.
- Details about the vehicle, such as the truck/unit number, gross vehicle type, fuel type, fleet name, fleet number, make, and model.
The total miles, taxable and nontaxable, traveled by the IFTA licensee’s qualified motor vehicle(s) in all jurisdictions/states, regardless if they participate in IFTA (including all
trip permit miles).
- The total gallons or liters of fuel that is consumed by a qualifying motor vehicle, including taxable and nontaxable, in all jurisdictions/states, whether they participate in IFTA or not.
If you need more details, click here to view additional IFTA reporting requirements.
Have all the information ready?
Get started with TruckLogics’ cloud-based IFTA Reporting software and begin entering your fuel data. You can then generate your IFTA Report in just a few minutes with the
state-specific required format.
How do I generate an IFTA Report?
Start your IFTA report generation with Trucklogics! You’ll never have to worry about changing IFTA tax rates, as our system is updated automatically with the accurate tax rates for each quarter. You can import your trucks and fuel data easily and generate reports.
Trucklogics offers two different options to generate an IFTA report.
- Trucking Management Solution - Manage all the operations of your trucking business, starting from dispatching to invoicing, including IFTA report generation.
- IFTA-Only Reporting - Import your tucks, distance, and fuel data to generate your IFTA report for the respective quarter.
Here are the steps to generate IFTA report with TruckLogics
- Create a FREE account with TruckLogics
- Add your business and Truck details
- Choose the quarter you need to file IFTA
- Import Distance and Fuel Data
That's it–your state-specific IFTA report will be ready for you!
Ready to Generate Your IFTA Report?
Only pay for the report you generate