Overview of IFTA
Updated on October 11, 2022 - 4:00 PM by Admin, TruckLogics
The International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) is a fuel tax collection and sharing agreement that allows interstate commercial carriers to redistribute fuel taxes they pay.
IFTA has 58 member jurisdictions, including 48 states in the United States and 10 provinces in Canada.
- IFTA is required for any motor vehicle with the following specifications:
IFTA allows governments in the United States and Canada to receive their fair share of fuel use taxes.
Motor Carriers that operate in multiple jurisdictions, must report the fuel use tax return each quarter with their base jurisdiction.
To know more about IFTA reporting requirements visit https://www.trucklogics.com/ifta-reporting-requirements
When is IFTA filing due for 2022?
IFTA filing is due on the last day of the month following the end of each quarter.
|For the Periods||Due Dates|
January- March 2022
|May 2, 2022|
|April - June 2022
|August 1, 2022|
|July - September 2022
|October 31, 2022|
|October - December 2022
|January 31, 2023|
Note: If the due date falls on a weekend or public holiday, then the due date will be on the next business day.
What if I miss the IFTA Reporting deadline?
There will be penalty for the following conditions
- Failure to file
- Late-filed reports
- Underpayment of tax due
The penalty will be a flat rate fee of $50 or 10% of the taxes due, whichever greater is applicable. The flat rate fee will differ for some jurisdictions. Check state specific IFTA reporting requirements and penalties.
Information required to generate IFTA Report
The following are the basic information required for IFTA filing:
- Business information such as the EIN, the name of the company, the type of business, and the address.
- IFTA details including country, base jurisdiction, and IFTA Account Number.
- Details about the vehicle, such as the truck/unit number, gross vehicle type, fuel type, fleet name, fleet number, make, and model.
- The total miles, taxable and nontaxable, traveled by the IFTA licensee’s qualified motor vehicle(s) in all jurisdictions/states, regardless if they participate in IFTA, which includes all trip permit miles
- The total gallons or liters of fuel that is consumed by a qualifying motor vehicle, including taxable and nontaxable, in all jurisdictions/states, whether they participate in IFTA or not.
Do you have this information readily available?
Get started with TruckLogics’ cloud-based IFTA Reporting software and begin entering your fuel data. You can then generate your IFTA Report in just a few minutes with the state specific required format.
How do I generate an IFTA Report?
Get started with TruckLogics to generate accurate IFTA reports. TruckLogics offers two different options to generate an IFTA report
- An Integrated IFTA Reporting that comes with a complete Trucking Management Solution
- IFTA Reporting Only Option
Here are the steps to generate IFTA report with TruckLogics
That's it. Your state-specific IFTA report will be ready for you. Ready to Generate your IFTA Report? Get Started Now with TruckLogics, and stay ahead of your IFTA Reporting.
Only pay for the report you generate