Browse By Topics
Arizona IFTA State Tax Overview- Updated April 27, 2023 - 8.00 AM - Admin, Trucklogics
The State of Arizona is a member of the International Fuel Tax
Read through this page to explore everything related to the State of Arizona registration and renewal process of IFTA.
To offer a comprehensive understanding, we have listed the IFTA reporting requirements, the penalty imposed, and links to other important resources.
Table of Contents:
- 1. Who is Required To Register for Arizona IFTA?
- 2. How do I apply for New Arizona IFTA Fuel Tax Accounts
- 3. How do I Renewal my IFTA accounts
- 4. When is the due date to file Quarterly Arizona
- 5. Arizona IFTA Penalties
- 6. Arizona IFTA Audits
- 7. Choose TruckLogics for generating IFTA Reports & managing your business efficiently.
- 8. Sources
1. Who is Required To Register for Arizona IFTA?
If you own a qualified motor vehicle in Arizona, you must register for IFTA filing in the state. A qualified motor vehicle is a motor vehicle used, designed, or maintained to transport persons or property having:
- Two axles and a gross vehicle weight or registered gross vehicle weight exceeding 26,000 pounds or 11,797 kilograms; or
- Having three or more axles regardless of weight; or
- It is used in combination when the weight of such combination exceeds 26,000 pounds or 11,797 kilograms gross vehicle or registered gross vehicle weight.
Qualified Motor Vehicles do not include recreational vehicles unless they are used in conjunction with any business endeavor. Recreational vehicles are vehicles such as motor homes, pickup trucks with attached campers, and buses used exclusively for personal pleasure by an individual.
2. How do I apply for New Arizona IFTA Fuel Tax Accounts?
You will need to complete an Arizona application form and submit it to the MVD office. Incomplete applications will be returned, which will delay processing. There is a $10 application fee, regardless of the number of decals needed. Once the application is approved, you will be notified and have the option to pick up your credentials or have them mailed. This process can take anywhere from 5 - 10 business days.
3. How do I Renewal my IFTA accounts
Renewals can be completed online or by mail.
4. When is the due date to file Quarterly Arizona IFTA Returns?
An Arizona quarterly IFTA return must be filed by the due date:
|Arizona Reporting Periods||Arizona IFTA Filing Deadlines|
|January - March||April 30|
|April - June||July 31|
|July - September||October 31|
|October - December||January 31|
*If the due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, the next business day is considered the tax reporting filing due date.
Note: An Arizona IFTA fuel tax report must be filed even if no fuel was used.
5. Arizona IFTA Penalties
A late penalty of $50 or 10% of the net tax liability, whichever is greater, is assessed on returns received after the filing deadline. Interest is computed on all delinquent taxes due to each jurisdiction at a rate of 1% per month. Even if you have a net refund, interest still applies to each jurisdiction for any underpayment of fuel use tax due and is calculated beginning the day after the due date of the return for each month, or fraction of a month, until paid.
6. Arizona IFTA Audits
IFTA Arizona audits are used to verify compliance, and base jurisdictions must audit 3% of the IFTA accounts in their state per year. The licensee will be contacted in writing at least 30 days prior to the audit and must make the required records available at the time of the audit. IFTA Audits are never fun, but keeping detailed records that include all required information will take the stress out of the audit process.
Filing Arizona IFTA fuel tax can be tedious and time-consuming. For more details, visit https://azdot.gov/motor-vehicles/motor-carrier-services or let us take the paperwork out of your way by using our Arizona Quarterly IFTA Filing Services! Our quarterly filing packages start at $75. (Contact us for multiple vehicle pricing)
7. Choose TruckLogics for generating IFTA Reports & managing your business efficiently.
The efficient method to stay organized and maintain compliance is with the expertise of cloud-based trucking management software.
All aspects of your business, such as managing dispatches, expenses, invoices, and generating IFTA Reports, can all be handled in one place.