Browse By Topics
West Virginia IFTA State Tax Overview- Updated April 27, 2023 - 8.00 AM - Admin, Trucklogics
The State of West Virginia is a member of the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA).
Read through this page to learn everything related to West Virginia’s registration and IFTA
You will learn about IFTA reporting requirements, late penalties, and links to other
Table of Contents:
- 1.Who Is Required To Register for West Virginia?
- 2.New West Virginia IFTA Fuel Tax Accounts
- 3. West Virginia IFTA Renewals
- 4.Quarterly West Virginia IFTA Returns
- 5.West Virginia IFTA Penalties
- 6.West Virginia IFTA Audits
- 7. Choose TruckLogics for generating IFTA Reports & managing your business efficiently
- 8. Sources
1. Who Is Required To Register for West Virginia?
If you own a qualified motor vehicle in West Virginia, you must register for IFTA filing in the state. A qualified motor vehicle is a motor vehicle used, designed, or maintained to transport persons or property having:
- Two axles and a gross vehicle weight or registered gross vehicle weight exceeding 26,000 pounds or 11,797 kilograms; or
- Having three or more axles regardless of weight; or
- The combined weight exceeds 26,000 pounds or 11,797 kilograms.
Qualified Motor Vehicles do not include recreational vehicles unless they are used in conjunction with any business endeavor. Recreational vehicles are vehicles such as motor homes, pickup trucks with attached campers, and buses exclusively for personal use.
2. New West Virginia IFTA Fuel Tax Accounts
You can submit a West Virginia application form by mail, fax, or in person to the Division of Motor Vehicles. There is a $5 fee for each set of decals. You will need one set per qualified vehicle. You should receive your decals in 3-5 business days. Same day decals are available when you apply in person.
3. West Virginia IFTA Renewals
Renewal applications can be completed by mail.
4. Quarterly West Virginia IFTA Returns
The deadlines to file West Virginia quarterly IFTA returns are as follows:
|West Virginia Reporting Periods||West Virginia IFTA Filing Deadlines|
|January - March||April 30|
|April - June||July 31|
|July - September||October 31|
|October - December||January 31|
*If the due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday or legal holiday, the next business day is considered the tax reporting filing due date.
Note: An West Virginia IFTA fuel tax report must be filed even if no fuel was used.
5. West Virginia IFTA Penalties
A late penalty of $50 or 10% of the tax due, whichever is greater, is added to late returns received. Interest is also added to all late tax payments at a rate of 1% per month.
Even if you have a net refund, interest still applies for any fuel use tax underpayment. Interest is calculated from the day after the due date of the return until the date the payment is made.
6. West Virginia IFTA Audits
West Virginia IFTA audits are used to verify compliance. All base jurisdictions must audit 3% of the IFTA accounts in their state per year. Carriers will be contacted in writing at least 30 days before the audit and must have their records available for the audit.
For more details, see www.transportation.wv.gov or let TruckLogics take the paperwork out of your way by using our West Virginia Quarterly IFTA Filing Services!
7. Choose TruckLogics for generating IFTA Reports & managing your business efficiently.
The most efficient way to stay organized and maintain IFTA compliance is with the expertise of our cloud-based trucking management software.
All aspects of your business, including managing dispatches, expenses, invoices, and generating IFTA Reports, can all be handled all in one place.