Browse By Topics
South Carolina IFTA State Tax Overview- Updated October 14, 2020 - 8.00 AM - Admin, Trucklogics
The State of South Carolina is a member of the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA).
Read through this page to explore everything related to the State of South Carolina registration and renewal process of IFTA.
To offer a comprehensive understanding, we have listed the IFTA reporting requirements, the penalty imposed and links to other important resources.
Table of Contents:
- 1.Who Is Required To Register for South Carolina IFTA?
- 2.New South Carolina IFTA Fuel Tax Accounts
- 3.South Carolina IFTA Renewals
- 4.Quarterly South Carolina IFTA Returns
- 5.South Carolina IFTA Penalties
- 6.South Carolina IFTA Audits
- 7. Choose TruckLogics for generating IFTA Reports & managing your business efficiently
1. Who Is Required To Register for Rhode Island IFTA?
A qualified motor vehicle is a motor vehicle used, designed, or maintained for transportation of persons or property having:
- Two axles and a gross vehicle weight or registered gross vehicle weight exceeding 26,000 pounds or 11,797 kilograms; or
- Having three or more axles regardless of weight; or
- Is used in combination, when the weight of such combination exceeds 26,000 pounds or 11,797 kilograms gross vehicle or registered gross vehicle weight.
Qualified Motor Vehicles do not include recreational vehicles unless they are used in conjunction with any business endeavor. Recreational vehicles are vehicles such as motor homes, pickup trucks with attached campers and buses when used exclusively for personal pleasure by an individual.
2. New South Carolina IFTA Fuel Tax Accounts
You can submit a South Carolina application in person to the Department of Motor Vehicles. You will receive decals the same day. There is no fee for decals. You will need one set per qualified vehicle.
3. South Carolina IFTA Renewals
Renewal applications can be completed by mail, in person or online.
4. Quarterly South Carolina IFTA Returns
A South Carolina quarterly IFTA return must be filed by the due date:
|South Carolina Reporting Periods||South Carolina IFTA Filing Deadlines|
|January - March||April 30|
|April - June||July 31|
|July - September||October 31|
|October - December||January 31|
*If the due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday or legal holiday, the next business day is considered the tax reporting filing due date.
Note: An South Carolina IFTA fuel tax report must be filed even if no fuel was used.
5. South Carolina IFTA Penalties
A late penalty of $50 or 10% of the net tax liability, whichever is greater, is assessed on returns received after the filing deadline. Interest is computed on all delinquent taxes due to each jurisdiction at a rate of .4167% per month. Even if you have a net refund, interest still applies to each jurisdiction for any underpayment of fuels use tax due and is calculated beginning the day after the due date of the return for each month, or fraction of a month, until paid.
6. South Carolina IFTA Audits
IFTA South Carolina audits are used to verify compliance and base jurisdictions are required to audit 3% of the IFTA accounts in their state per year. The licensee will be contacted in writing at least 30 days prior to the audit and must make the required records available at the time of the audit. IFTA Audits are never fun, but keeping detailed records that include all required information will take the stress out of the audit process.
Filing South Carolina IFTA fuel tax can be tedious and time consuming. For more details, see www.scdmvonline.com or let us take the paperwork out of your way by using our South Carolina Quarterly IFTA Filing Services! Our quarterly filing packages start at $75. (Contact us for multiple vehicle pricing.)
7. Choose TruckLogics for generating IFTA Reports & managing your business efficiently.
The efficient method to stay organized and maintain compliance is with the expertise of cloud-based trucking management software.
All aspects of your business, such as managing dispatches, expenses, invoices, and generating IFTA Reports, can all be handled all in one place.